Aath Kambh Chhatri and Godia Chhatri
Aath Kambh Chhatri and Godia Chhatri snapshot
About Aath Kambh Chhatri and Godia Chhatri
Aath Kambh Chhatri, one of the buildings possessing great historical significance, is an 8 pillared dome that stands on the northern side of the town. Lying between the premises adjoining to the western side of the vegetable market, the chhatri is believed to be constructed in 1776 on a Rajput’s cremation site. Over the years, the windblown sand has virtually buried the base of the structure while the interiors are adorned with beautiful murals and stone carved paintings.
One of the prominent paintings depicts an early European mercenary walking while carrying a musket. Tourists can also witness some huge memorial domes of Mantri, Bagla and Lohia merchant families that are raised on the northern side of the town. Godia Chhatri, which is also located in the northern side of the town, can be visited.