Akhand Chandi Palace
Akhand Chandi Palace snapshot
About Akhand Chandi Palace
The Akhand Chandi Palace is a major attraction of Chamba, which was built during 1747 to 1765. The palace of Raja Umed Singh features a distinct roof of green colour, which was modernised by Raja Sham Singh with the help of British engineers. The successors of Raja Sham Sigh also added new dimensions to the palace.
In 1879, a Darbar Hall was added, which is also known as Marshal Hall after its builder. The palace also features a residence of royal ladies, known as Zenana Mahal that was added under the reign of Raja Bhuri Singh. The structure displays a fusion of Mughal and British architectural influences. The royal family peddled the palace to the Government of Himachal Pradesh in 1958.
Tourists can enjoy a beautiful view of Chaugan, Sui Mata, Chamunda Devi Temple, Laxmi Narayana Temple, Rang Mahal, Bansi Gopal Temple and Hari Rai Temple from the palace.