Aligarh Fort snapshot
About Aligarh Fort
Aligarh Fort, also known as ‘Aligarh Quila’, ‘Baunasaur Quila’ or ‘Ramgarh Quila’, is amongst chief attractions of the destination. The fort was built by Muhammad, son of Governor Umar in 1525 during the reign of Ibrahim Lodhi. It is located on a hill with steep ravines on all sides. of about 32 feet. The polygonal construction having bastions at each angle is the highlight of the ancient testimony.
Ancient fort served several rulers and governors, which include Sabit Khan, Surajmal Jat (1753) and Madhavrao Scindia (1759). The old fort was extended to about 3 times in 1753 by Banasaur, lieutenant of contemporary ruler Surajmal Jat. During those days, fort had a special explosives warehouse and an air cooled kitchen. Besides, there is a basement in the fort, which is not much visible from outside.
The historic fort stands in the north of the Aligarh Muslim University at Barauli Marg. Aligarh Muslim University is the managing authority of the testament, which is also serving it’s department of Botany at the site. Just 3 kmthree kilometres north fromof the city centre, the place can be easily reached by Taxi, Cycle rRickshaws or Auto rickshaws.