Bandel Church snapshot
|1 Rating & 1 Review|
Bandel Church was built in 1599 by Captain Pedro Tavares. This church was established by Christians, who already outnumbered the Hindus by 1598. By the mid 16th century the Portuguese used Bandel as a port.
The original building of the church was burnt down by the Moors in 1632 during the sacking of Hooghly. Gomez de Soto built a new church on the same site in 1660. The keystone of the older church can still be seen along the eastern gate of the church. It has three altars, several tombstones, an organ and a shrine of Mary.
What travellers are saying about this Sightseeing
- Adam Banerjee
- 2 Reviews
The ambience and the structure of the church is that of the Roman architecture. This is the only church in whole India to house such great infrastructure and housing an European ambience. People from all over the world visit this place and after all, who wouldn't want to touch their souls with the love of Christ. He died on the cross for our sins just because he loved us.More » « Less
- Was this review useful?
- 1 vote