Cheluvanarayana Swamy Temple
Cheluvanarayana Swamy Temple snapshot
|1 Rating & 1 Review|
Cheluvanarayana Swamy temple, also known as the Thirunarayanapura, is built on a rocky hill known as the Yadavagiri and Yadugiri. The temple is dedicated to Cheluva-Narayana Swamy or Tirunarayana. Utsavamurthi, a metallic image, has been enshrined at the temple. This image represents the deity Cheluvapille Raya, also known as the Cheluvanarayana Swamy. It is believed that this metallic image was once lost and Sri Ramanujacharya recovered it.
In 1614, the Mysore King, Raja Wodeyar adopted the Srivaishnava faith and donated all his estate that was gifted to him by Venkatapati Raya, along with the temple, to Brahmins at Melukote. One of the pillars of this temple has a 1.5 ft high bas-relief. This bas-relief depicts Raja Wodeyar standing with folded hands. According to the local people, Raja Wodeyar was a great devotee and he once presented a gold crown studded with precious jewels. The crown was later known by his name, the Raja-mudi.
Krishnaraja Wodeyar III and his queens presented gold jewels and silver vessels to the temple. It is also said that Krishnaraja Wodeyar III offered a precious crown in the temple that is now known as Krishnaraja-mudi. The deity of Cheluvanarayana Swamy is adorned with both the crowns, Raja-mudi and Krishnaraja-mudi, on the special occasion of the annual Vairamudi festival. Located 48 km away from Mysore, this temple can be reached by buses that operate on the Bangalore-Mysore highway.
What travellers are saying about this Sightseeing
- Gauri Shukla
- Heritage seeker
- Lives in Bangalore
- 4 Reviews