Jalore Fort snapshot
Jalore Fort is one of the nine forts built by the Paramaras during the 10th century. Jalore Fort, also known as ‘Golden Mount’ or ‘Sonagir’, is considered as one of the most secure forts across the country. Nestled atop a hill nearly 1200 ft in height, the entry gate can only be be reached though a serpentine ascent of around two-miles up the hill. The fort features four gates - Suraj Pol, Dhruv Pol, Bal Pol and Siroh Pol. The typical construction of the Suraj Pol helps the first rays of the rising sun enter through its gateway.
To get upto the fort, one needs to scale a steep, slippery way, at least for two hours. The major residential palace inside the fort is now deserted, with only its ruins left to view. The Topekhana or the canon foundry is the most vital structure of the fort. It was built by Ala-ud-din Khilji in the 14th century. A few mosques are found inside the fort, which are believed to be built using the remnants of 84 Hindus and Jain temples. Presently, this fort belongs to the State Government’s archaeological department and has been declared as a protected building since 1956.
A huge wall, 25 feet high and 15 feet wide, encircles the first gate called Suraj Pole. The second gate, Dhruv Pole, is located half a mile from the first gate. The third gate known as Chand Pole, is strongly built and the fourth gate is called Sire Pole. The fort is spread over an area 0.75 km in length and half a kilometer in width. The area of the fort encompasses two water reservoirs, the palace of Mansingh, a Shiva temple, a shrine of Goddess Jogmaya, three Jain temples, a shrine of Mallik Shah and One Mosque.
Among all the temples, the temple of Parshavnath is the most well known. The palace of Mansingh features a richly decorated red stone pillar, which belonged to the Parmar Dynasty. There is also an underground reservoir in the courtyard of the palace. Big storage houses are also found in the palace, which were used for storing food grains. At the end of the palace, there is a Shiv temple, which is home to a big Shiva Linga made of white marble.
The post of Viram Dev is located to the south-east of the highest hill in the region. A mosque has been built lately near the post. During the struggle of independence, freedom fighters like Ganeshlal Vyas, Fatehraj Joshi, Mathurdas Mathur and Tulidas Rathi were held captive here, by the British government.