Jalpesh Temple, an old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is located at a distance of around 15 km from Jalpaiguri town. It was built by the last successor of King Baghadatta, called Jalpash, who built the temple around 800 AD. The temple bears a long history to trace back. Bhaktiyar Khilji when invaded Kamrup destroyed this temple of Jalpesh. However, one of the Kings of Bhutan again restored it in the 12th century. But subsequently the temple was lost in the jungle. Again, in the year 1665, King Pranannarayan of the Cooch Behar dynasty excavated the temple site and re-established the temple.
Again in the year 1897, the temple was almost destroyed by an earthquake. With the unavailability of government help, funds were raised to repair the temple. A huge mela is held at the site of the temple in the month of January, which attracts bulk of people from Assam and Duars as well as the hills of the Darjeeling district.