Jasrota was originally founded in 1019 by Raja Jas Dev of Jammu, who later on passed this region to his uncle Raja Karan Dev. The region also served as the seat of an imperial power which was later made a district in 1846, when Gulab Singh became the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir. The rulers of Jasrota were Jamwals, popularly called as the Jasrotias.
The castle of the Jasrotias was raised to safeguard the kingdom from the attacks of Sikhs and other external threats. There is an ancient shrine in Jasrota on a hillock in the outskirts of old Jasrota village. This temple has a stone idol of Goddess Maha Kali.