Rang Mahal snapshot
About Rang Mahal
Rang Mahal is one the largest monuments of the region made using brick. Located in Surara Mohalla, it exhibits a fusion of Mughal and British architectures. The foundation stone of the palace was laid by Raja Umed Singh of Chamba. The structure was completed in the year 1860 under Raj Sri Singh, who developed the southern part of the palace.
The palace had painted doors and paintings, which are preserved at the Bhuri Singh Museum of Chamba. Some of the artwork is on display at the National Museum, New Delhi.
Once a residence of the ruling family, it has now been taken over by the Handicrafts Department of the State Government. The department is engaged in making a wide variety of shoes, slippers and handkerchiefs.