Reis Magos Fort OverviewRanked 5 of 104 sightseeing in Panjim
Reis Magos Fort was built in 1551 by Sultan Adil Shah. Located on a strategic location, the church is situated in the fort that is frequently visited by travellers visiting Calangute and Candolim beaches. In 1760, the fort was rebuilt by Portuguese rulers to protect their territory from the invaders of the neighbouring states of Goa. The fort also contains a church 'Reis Magos', that is located at the base of the fort.
The fort got it’s name 'Reis Magos', which in Portuguese religion symbolises the Magi Kings. Concept of 'Magi Kings', also known as 'three wise men', states that they went to Bethlehem after the shining star to bestow their gifts towards the Infant Jesus. The fort is one of the three places in Goa where the feast of the three wise men takes place. .
Since Post-liberation, the fort is still being used as a jail by the Goa government. The newly discovered spacious rooms, below the two main buildings are used to serve as prisons, where entry is not permitted.
It is believed that the church of the fort was constructed on the ruins of an ancient Hindu Temple. Bas-relief lion statues on the sides of the stairs are also one of it’s most prominent features. The church houses graves of two Viceroys of Goa, whose tomb stones are still present in the graveyard.
What travellers are saying about Reis Magos Fort
- Good 3
- Excellent 3
- Very Good 1
- Terrible 0
- Poor 0
- Below Average 0
- Average 0
- Length of visit: 1-2hrs
- Best Time: During Day
- Food available for purchase
- Bathroom facilities
- Camera/Video allowed
- Wearing of shoes/footwear allowed
A nice place for history lovers
Best place to see the beach and half of GOA
Worth a visit
A Historic Fort at wonderful location
A surprise awaits you at the splendid Reis Magos Fort