St. Andrews Church
St. Andrews Church snapshot
About St. Andrews Church
The St. Andrews Church in Cherthala, also known as the St. Sebastian's Church, is situated in Arthunkal near Cherthala. This church is a well known Latin Catholic Christian pilgrim centre. The St. Andrews Church was established in 1851 by the Portuguese missionaries. The church has a statue of St. Sebastian, brought from Milan (Italy), in the right wing.
A popular ten day feast of St. Sebastian is held in January. On the last day, worshippers crawl on their knees from the church to the beach. Afterwards, a ceremonial procession is organised at the Arthunkal Beach.