Suvarnadurg Fort OverviewRanked 3 of 11 sightseeing in Harnai
Suvarnadurg Fort is an island fort situated in the Ratnagiri District of Maharashtra. The port serves as a natural harbour and is known for its fishing and trade activities. It is believed to have been built by the Bijapur kings in the 17th century, but was soon captured by the Maratha ruler, Shivaji. The fort remained under the control of the Peshwas till 1818.
The huge walls of the fort were made using solid rocks and the ramparts were raised by cutting huge square stone blocks. This fort is surrounded by various bastions on the top and has a secondary gate on its western side. The fort’s premises are also accessible from a hidden main gate that opens towards the east.
The gates of the fort have a carved figure of a tortoise and an image of Maruti, popularly known as Lord Hanuman, on either side. Tourists can also visit Goa, Kanak Durga and Fatehgarh Forts located nearby the fort.