Situated along the banks of River Ravi, in the midst of Dhauladhar and Pir Panjal ranges of the Himalayas, Chamba is a popular holiday retreat. The history of the town dates back to 920 A.D., when the region was ruled by Raja Sahil Verman. The township offers various sightseeing options such as historic temples, British era churches and art museums.
The highlight of the town, referred to as Chaugan, is situated in the centre. Laid during British rule, the arena is a centre of social and cultural activities. Chamba houses numerous ancient temples like Lakshmi Narayan, Chamunda Devi, Chaurasi and Brajeshwari Devi. Depicting a hill-style architecture and stone work, the temples are among the foremost pilgrim centres in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
Along with temples, Bhuri Singh Museum provides an opportunity to have a glimpse of beautiful artefacts, paintings and costumes. The museum gallery encompass Basohli and Kangra art paintings along with the rare Sarda script. Major attractions of the museum are Devi-ri-kothi, Mul Kihar and The Parasites of Sarahan.
Rang Mahal, a palace built around 1750 is a major attraction. Some other sightseeing locations in and around the town are Radha Krishna, Hari Rai, Shiva and Gauri Shankar Temple.