Perfect Hill Station for a weekend getaway from Bangalore
At around 60 km from the hill station, lies the highest peak of Karnataka - Mullayanagiri, which is a must-check-out place. Other good places to check out are Baba Budan Giri hills, Hebbe Falls, etc. Personal recommendation will be to take a bike and explore the offbeat routes around Attigundi, beyond Baba Budan Giri hills, etc.
It's a great place for hiking as well, from trails ranging from day-hikes to 3-4 days long hikes. I've been to Chikmagalur for more than 4 times in the past, mostly for hiking and camping and it has been an amazing experience. Just try not to camp anywhere inside the Bhadra Tiger Reserve (unless you are braver than Bear Grylls) and you'll enjoy the time there.
As for local food and shopping, the place has food street near the bus stand which offers pretty decent food at relatively low prices. The homemade chocolates are a delight and one should definitely buy more for later, else you will regret (like I did! ).
1. There was lot of rush and roads are narrow at Baba budangiri Road. Road was almost blocked till 3. It is my personal opinion to tour major points as early as possible in the morning because afterwards lot of rush will be there, otherwise not to plan tour during holidays. Due to jam tourist spots were closed for new comer /entry by police.
2. For hebbe falls replanting and pre information is necessary because there is restricted time for trekking and jeep tour.
We missed many places if you follow these information you can enjoy this ultimate place !!
3. Last but not least be aware of leeches and carry first aid kit with you.
4. Chikmagalur can be covered in 1 day for halebidu - Belur and yahachi sports including travelling from Bangalore require 1 more day.
5. In Chikmagalur major points mullyangiri, jhari fall, bababudnigiri, hebbe fall. We missed first and last points due to traffic jam in mullyangiri entry blockage and in shortage of hebbe fall timings information. In these places nearby many more other points are also there to cover.
6. Your Driver should be experienced and aware of this area to avoid any inconvenience.
7. There is one beautiful Siri restaurant on the way to tourist spot in starting itself, try to catch some moment here.
I am heading to Chikmagalur
History of Chikmagalur
Chikmagalur is a small town located at the foothills of the Mullayanagiri Range in the South Western part of Karnataka. It is a popular weekend getaway from Bangalore and Mangalore. The name ‘Chikmagalur’ translates into ‘younger daughter’s town’. It received the name because of a historical event in which the town was given as dowry to the younger daughter of Rukmangada, who was the chief of the place Sakrepatna. Chikmagalur was earlier known as ‘Kadur’.
Chikmagalur is known for its vast estates of coffee and tea plantations. The first coffee plantation in Chikmagalur was brought by Baba Budan Giri from West Asia.
People and Culture of Chikmagalur
The population of Chikmagalur mainly comprises Hindus and Christians. Kannada is the predominant language of the place. Ganesh Chatruthi, Ugadi, Dussehra and Deepavali are some of the festivals celebrated in Chikmagalur. Chikmagalur places to visit include waterfalls, lakes, hills and temples.
Things to Do in Chikmagalur
Among the many beautiful places to visit in Chikmagalur, Mullayangiri is the most popular place. Lying at an altitude of 1930 metres above seal level, it is the highest peak in Karnataka. It lies in the bara Budan Range of the Western Ghats. Tourists looking for adventurous things to do in Chikmagalur can enjoy activities such as Trekking, mountain biking, road biking etc. Regarded as sacred by both Hindus and Muslims, Inam Dattatreya Peetha is also an eminent Chikmagalur sightseeing place. A three-day celebration known as ‘Urs’ is held at the place every year.
Kudremukh National Park is also among the important places to see in Chikmagalur. Accredited as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, one can enjoy outdoor activities as well as sightseeing at the park. Tourists can explore the flora and fauna of the dense forest in a Safari.While sightseeing in Chikmagalur, one must not miss the Hebbe Falls which is a natural spring fall. The water stream is enriched with minerals and believed to cure skin diseases.
Food and Shopping in Chikmagalur
After exploring the various Chikmagalur tourist places, one can savour the local cuisine of the place which is known as ‘Malanadu’. The local dishes are generally flavoured with coconut milk and rice and fish curry are the staple dishes of the local cuisine. Some of the other specialties of the cuisine are Akki Roti, Kakadu and Banana Chips.
One must definitely take back different varieties of coffee and cashew nuts from Chikmagalur tour. National Coffee Research Station is where you can buy exotic varieties of coffee. Market Road is another place from where you can pick up souvenirs and other handicraft items.
Accommodation in Chikmagalur
Tourists who are wondering how to reach Chikmagalur can choose from among various options since it is well connected by road, air and rail. The closest airport to Chikmagalur is in Mangalore which is located at a distance of around 170 km. Daily buses ply from places such as Bangalore, Mangalore, Coimbatore to Chikmagalur. One can also rent a car and drive down to the place.
Homestays and guesthouses are the most popular form of accommodation in Chikmagalur. One can also look for resorts in Chikmagalur that lie close to the major Chikmagalur attractions.