Dholavira Experience: (1) A very good place to visit, if archaeology (similar to Indus Valley Civilization) interests you. The Civilization findings at Dholavira are older than their counterparts (Harappa & Mohan-jo-daro).
(2) At Dholavira Museum & excavated site, we were escorted by guides (Gujarat Govt. pays them, hence they won't ask for money), who took us around the excavated site & museum and explained the findings on ancient civilisation which is about 3,000 to 5,000 years old. The one who escorted us was Jaymalbhai and we had very good experience with him.
(3) One of the fossil (basically wood) shown to us in the museum was 19 crore years old (as told).
Food, sight-seeing and shopping: (1) The Fossil park & Rann of Kutch are very nearby & are worth visiting (as told). Unfortunately, we couldn't visit Fossil Park as the approach road was under construction. Owing to good rainy season, we could see Rann filled with water.
(2) In the Rann filled with water, we could see lot of 'Surkhab' - migratory birds having pink tint in their feathers. This is a very good place for bird enthusiasts.
Activities & things to do: Best place for archaeologists.Bird Enthusiasts will find 'Surkhab' (migratory bird) en route to Dholavira and in Rann of Kutch.
Travel tips, How to reach, travel warnings etc: (1) Connectivity - You need to have your own vehicle, as there is no local transport available. State Transport Bus is available from Bhuj to Dholavira (Bus stand), but then there is no local transport from Bus stand to Toran resort & excavated site, museum etc.
(2) Resort Booking - Need to book rooms in advance at Gujarat Tourism offices. Online booking facility is not available.
(3) Do carry snacks & water bottles along, as you probably won't find them beyond Rapar (90 Kms. before Dholavira enroute).
(4) There is no other hotel or restaurant in Dholavira i.e. Toran Resort is the only choice.
HolidayIQ.com is a premier holiday information portal powered by India's first & biggest travel community; enabling travellers to first discover numerous vacation choices, then plan holiday trips in full detail and finally, share holiday experiences with millions of other travellers.