Solapur is famous for
Review and Ratings (19)
A trip to Solapur
Worthy Pilgrimage visit
The must visits are
1. Pandharpur Temple of worship for Vitthal, believed to be a form of Lord Krishna or Vishnu and his consort Rakhumai on the banks of Chandrabhaga or Bhima river. The well known saint's Namdev and Dyaneshwar owe their reverence to the lord here.
2. Tulja Bhavani Temple is a temple dedicated to Goddess Bhavani. It is located in Tuljapur around 45 Km from Solapur and is considered as one of the 51 Shakti Pithas. Goddess Tulja Bhavani is the family deity of the Bhosale Royal family, It is mentioned in history books, that here the Goddess gave Chhatrapati Shivaji a sword - 'the Bhawani sword' - for success in his expeditions.
3. Swami Samarth (Akkalkot) Guru of the Dattatreya tradition, widely respected in Maharashtra, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. Shri Swami Samarth traveled all over the country and finally set his abode at Akkalkot village in Maharashtra.
4. Siddeshwar temple - Temple within the city limits of Solapur dedicated to lord Shiva. The temple is built in a lake with beautiful surroundings and well lit in the evenings.
5. Nannaj Bird Sanctuary - Habitat of the Great Indian Bustard, the heaviest flying bird from India almost extinct now. The sanctuary also houses the Black buck deer species, Neel ghai, Indian wolves, foxes and a variety of birds.
The food available is basically local, Jowar, bajra roti local grown vegetables.
Most locals savour on Missal pav & vada pav. However one can find few fast food joints like Mac Donalds, KFC and pizza parlours. For a vegetarian Kamat's is an okay place to dine.
One must plan their travel during the months of September to February as the summer is too hot ranging from 39 to 47 deg.
I am heading to Solapur
History of Solapur
One of the largest cities in the state of Maharashtra, Solapur is both a city and a district. Solapur along with three other districts namely Satara, Sangli and Kolhapur form South West Maharashtra. It shares its border with Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. It is an ancient place with historical and religious importance with Shri Siddharameshwar as its chief deity.Solapur has a rich history and various dynasties ruled Solapur like Chalukyas, Andhrabhratyas, Yadavas, Rashtrakutas and Bahamians. The name Solapur is a combination of two words "Sola" and "Pur". "Sola" means sixteen and "Pur" means village. This is relevant since Solapur is considered to include sixteen villages. There are quite a few places of tourist and religious interest in Solapur.
Things To Do in Solapur
The major attraction of this place is the Siddheshwar Temple and it is situated in the middle of a lake. Solapur has many Jain temples named after the Jain Tirthankaras like Parasnath temple, Mallikarjuna temple and Adinath temple. The Revansiddeshwar temple and famous Bhuikot fort are other temples worth a visit. Another tourist attraction is the Samadhi of Swami Samarth Maharaja of Akkalkot. There are also a number of archeological sites here and nearby areas which are popular among tourists.
People and Culture of Solapur
The place is famous within the country as well as outside for its many textile industries, towels and Solapur chaddars. The bedding accessories, commonly known as "chaddars," have become famous in the mind of people chiefly because of their unique designs and high quality. Weaving is a popular occupation here and people belonging to Padmashali community are mainly dependent on weaving for their livelihood. Solapur was one of the important places for business as there were large number of cotton mills and power looms. In fact, there were many small- and medium-scale industries located in this area. But in recent years, the place seems to have lost its attraction as an industrial area and many of the industries are shifting elsewhere. In current scenario, agriculture is the main contributor to Solapur?s economy.
Accommodation in Solapur
Solapur is well connected by road to major cities of the state of Maharashtra as well as the adjoining states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. It has air connectivity with Mumbai.