Alleppey and Kumarakom

Alleppey and Kumarakom Q&A

Search Kumarakom Travel Discussion

Ask a question

Alleppey and Kumarakom

Posted by Kirth | Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:20 pm

How far is Alleppey from Kumarakom? Do we get buses to travel frm these places? What is the difference from these places? Both are backwaters right? Annd how long we need to reach from one place to other? Which one is good to visit first. I am going in the month of July.

Re: Alleppey and Kumarakom

Posted by Ullas | Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi,

Kumarakom to alleppey is 1 hour journey and it is 45 km.
Tata indica a/c is Rs:1000 for alleppey drop.
There is buses also available from kumarakom to alleppey.
The biggest lake in kerala is vembanadu lake.One side of the lake is alleppey and opposite side is alleppey.
The tourism industry market leaders like Taj hotels,CGH hotels,Raddisson,Hotel Leela kumarakom lake resort,Abad hotels etc in kumarakom only. So you can imagine which is the best destination

regards
ullas Babu
coconut creek farm and homestay kumarakom

Posted by HDoshi | Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:12 am

Kumarkom to alleppey is hardly 1.5 to 2 hrs by road. We had both the places. Yes both are backwaters, there is hardly any difference. If you want to stay in houseboat then you can opt for Allepy(caution houseboats are not so comfortable). You have a bird sanctuary to see in kumarakom. According to me I think you can skip one of the places as both are the same, and preferable you can skip kumarkom because the backwaters of alleppy are better. The moving houseboat or half day boat rides are a must to enjoy the beauty of backwaters or Allepy.

Another option is you can stay in Kumarkom and take a half day tour to Allepy in the boat. They have good tourists boat. The rooms of houseboat are not so comfortable plus in the eve your houseboat is standing at one of the shores and not moving, giving an entry to thousands of mosquitos.
For further details of both the places visit (http://hiral-tours.blogspot.in/#!/2012/ ... eeing.html)
Its like two shores of the same backwater.

Posted by Rumela | Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello Kirth..

The transport is pretty Good. what we did was we started from Fort Cochin stayed there one day and then took a train from Ernakulam( Fort Cochin) - Kottayam. Stayed there for 2 days. There is a beautiful place called Backwater retreat ( we did booking of this property via AGoda.com, they give good discounts, can try)around 6- 7 kms from the station. Next day we went for a tour in a House Boat in the Vemabanad lake. . The Hotel Owner Mr Kurian is very helpful and he did all the booking from our hotel to the boat house. A cab came picked us up and dropped there. the house boat charged us Rs 450 per hour for 3 hours. This is the rate . Even if u go alone or take 10 people with you. Once we done we came back to the hotel. Next day the say cab came and dropped us to Kumarokom. Its about 6-7 kms, and it charged us Rs 350. thats how we reached Kumarakom and stayed in kumarokom lake resort. again we did the booking via agoda. Its a 5 Star property and worth every bit. Loved 1 night stay there. Do let me know if you have any query. From Kumarakom we went to a beach further south called Varkala Beach...mu suggestion would please try this place. Its one of the beautiful beach i have seen. Very remote , very clean.. Again u can go there via train from Kottayam. Please let me know if you have any query :) happy to help

Popular forum topics for Kumarakom

• Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post