picnic spots near Aurangabad

picnic spots near Aurangabad Q&A

Search Aurangabad Travel Discussion

Ask a question

picnic spots near Aurangabad

Posted by Jayant | Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 pm

which are the tourist spots near aurangabad and also tell me any good budget economical hotels near these picnic spots.i am taking my students for a trip to auragabad.would appreciate any information.

thanks,
mahesh

Re: picnic spots near Aurangabad

Posted by Milind | Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Had been to Aurangabad last Feb. The popular places to visit are:-

1) City tour where you can visit Panchakki, Bibi Ka Maqbara which are in the city limits and can be done within half a day. The other half day you can go to Daulatabad fort (15 kms from city) which requires 4 hours if you want to trek right till the top.
2) One full day tour to Grihaneshwar temple (one of the 12 Jyotilings of India), Aurangzeb's tomb and the world heritage site of Elloro caves including the famous Kailash temple (30 kms off the city). It takes about 4 hrs to view all the caves. Most tours include Daulatabad fort since it is on the way but doing both (the fort and ellora caves) means cutting one of the two short and viewing it in a hurry.
3) Ajanta caves (about 100 kms off the city) for a full day outing
4) Last but not the least the 3rd largest impact crater in the world at Lonar (130 kms off the city) in the neighbouring Buldhana district. It is huge (16 kms in diameter) has a lake in the centre and a forest around it dotted with many ancient temples with magnificent carvings from Hindu mythology. It takes a total of 3 hrs to trek down to the crater and have a full round around the lake & come up.
Since Aurangabad, Ajanta & Lonar form a triangle what I did was to leave early morning from Aurangabad for Ajanta. After sightseeing I left for Lonar stayed the night there and early morning did the crater & surrounding temples before leaving for Aurangabad back again.
As for Budget accomodation try the MTDC at both places Aurangabad & Lonar. Infact at Lonar that is the only accommodation with a maganificent view of the crater. You can check the availability on their Web site and book at the local MTDC counter in your city. Do not forget to hire an official guide at Daulatabad, Ajanta, Ellora & Lonar who will show you around and explain the history. We hired an unofficial person (at half the official rates) at Ajanta & Ellora and regreted it.
Do not miss Lonar crater as it is one of the greatest acts of nature (50000 years ago) created in seconds and is truly one of India's greatest jewels. All others are man-made and pale in comparison. Its just that it has not been "marketed" by the govt. and a very few Indians visit it. Foreigners, Discovery Channel & Nat geo teams visit it regularly.
Bye
Milind

Re: picnic spots near Aurangabad

Posted by M S Kumar | Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:48 pm

For picnic you can go near Ajanta, Ellora or Aurangabad fort.

Popular forum topics for Aurangabad

• Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post