Pondicherry or Puducherry, the capital of the Union Territory of Pondicherry, is located along the Coromandel Coast of Bay of Bengal. Pondicherry is also the largest coastal enclave in the Union Territory of Pondicherry, the others being Karaikal, Mahe and Yanam. Pondicherry is situated in Tamil Nadu at a distance of about 160 km to the south of Chennai. According to mythology, Pondicherry was known by the name Vedapuri. This place is also believed to be the abode of the revered sage, Saint Agasthya. Pondicherry later came under the rule of various dynasties like the Pallavas, the Cholas and the Pandyas. As per ‘Periplus of the Erythraean Sea’, Pondicherry had trade relations with Rome during 1st century AD. Roman pottery excavated from Arikamedu near Pondicherry, which dates back to the first half of 1st century AD, also points to this fact. The unique location of Pondicherry captured the attention of Portuguese, the Dutch, the Danes, the...
More about Pondicherry ›
Popular destinations in Pondicherry
BOOK HOLIDAY *Get connected to an expert travel agent
Destinations in Pondicherry (Where to go in Pondicherry)
How to reach - Pondicherry Destinations
Useful Links for Pondicherry
Articles and Blogs
- Pondicherry-Giving time a break ! - Blog post about Travel to Pondicherry: Driving directions, Road condition, Places to visit, Tour packages available etc.,
- Pondicherry Information - Welcome to Pondicherry - In this Web site, you will find information on all aspects of Pondicherry. The main languages spoken are Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, English and French.
- Government of Pondicherry - Pondicherry Government portal covering diverse topics including health, tourism, culture, climate, Tenders and e-Governance.
- Pondicherry Tourism - Pondicherry Tourism Government portal - Official website of Dept. of Tourism, covers Places of Interest in Pondicherry, List of Beaches in Pondicherry etc.,
Other Useful Links
- Weather - Weather forecast for Pondicherry with a fast, easy to use interface. Includes weather maps, graphics and radar images.
- Intach, Pondicherry - Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage is dedicated to heritage conservation and awareness. Intach has been working with the Government of Pondicherry and the public to conserve the architectural heritage and townscape of Pondicherry.