coverImage

Idalcao

Panjim

15.0/5(5 Ratings)

Idalcao Overview

Ranked 9 of 104 sightseeing in Panjim

The Idalcao Palace was the castle of the Adil Shah, the Sultan of Bijapur. Located on the bank of Mandovi River, it serves as a passport office, Secretariat and other Government offices of Goa, today.  .

Possessing Portuguese colonial structure, the palace is the oldest surviving building in Panjim. The palace served as the official residence for most of the Portuguese Viceroys in 1759 before they returned to Portugal. Apart from several rooms, the place also contains a chapel, which was also built in 1760 when the Viceroy moved to Panjim from Old Goa.
 

Planning Panjim trip?

Know cost before you go!

Videos

Nice place to visit

Nice place to visit  Video Review

Idalcao

Rizwanuddin Rafiq
20th May 16

What travellers are saying about Idalcao

Experience scale
  • Excellent 3
  • Terrible 0
  • Poor 0
  • Below Average 0
  • Average 0
  • Good 0
  • Very Good 0
Travellers recommend
  • Best Time: During DayLength of visit: Below 1hr
  • Length of visit: 2-3hrsBest Time: During Day
Facilities available
  • Food available for purchaseFood available for purchase
  • Bathroom facilitiesBathroom facilities
  • Camera/Video allowedCamera/Video allowed
  • Wearing of shoes/footwear allowedWearing of shoes/footwear allowed

Timing, fees and more

info

Other Details

Famous for:
Palaces
Entry:
free
99% voted as clean

Reviews and Ratings

Rizwanuddin Rafiq

Rizwanuddin Rafiq5.0/5

2109 reviews

Panji's oldest building

The River front Secretariat once it was housing the State Legislative Assembly still many State Government Offices are there. This is the Panji's oldest buildings. It was once the summer palace of Yousuf Adil Shah, Goa's 16th century ruler, who lost to Portuguese in 1510. It is known as Idalcao a corruption of Adil Shah's or Khan's Palace, which was rebuilt in 1615, its strategic location made it a point of entry for ships and a stopover for viceroys and Governors en route to old Goa. In 1760, after Old Goa was abandoned in favour of Panaji, the Idalcao became the official residence of the viceroys until 1918, when the residence moved to the Cabo Palace, South West Of Panaji. Extensive renovations transformed the original Islamic structure into the Colonial Building it is today, with a sloping tiled roof, wide wooden verandahs and cast Iron pillars. The Ashok Chakra and the Buddhist Wheel of Law, the Emblems Of The Indian Government, have replaced the Portuguese viceroy's coat of arms, above the entrance to the building. West side of the Idalcao is the statue of Goan Priest Abbe de Faria is standing.

Read More


Rizwanuddin Rafiq

Rizwanuddin Rafiq5.0/5

2109 reviews

Riverside Pleasure

Yousuf Adil Shah's summer palace, who was a king of Adil Shahi Dynasty of Bijapur, and it was built in 1500 facing the riverside Mandovi. When he lost to Portuguese this has become a strategic defense point and artillery was added and the first custom poste. It served as a residence to many Portuguese viceroys, a little chapel was also built inside and in 1910 when viceroy moved to his new residence at highland the cross was shifted to Fontainhas Chapel. This palace has undergone various alterations and renovations, as lastly by the Government of Goa still it is the fine example of its design and layout. This primarily riverside pleasure, seen historic changes, a journey begin by Yusuf Adil Shah, continuing as an Official Secretariat. If persons those who are able to understand the difference between caring and growing, indeed! They deserve to care the heritage.

Read More


Nishitha K n

Nishitha K n5.0/5

521 reviews

Old palace

Idalcao is palace in Goa. This Idalcao palace is on the bank of river Mandovi. The architecture of this palace is amazing . This palace is very old one. This place still needs to improve. Management of this palace is not good . But heritage lovers will like this place a lot .