coverImage

St. Lawrence Church

Miramar

15.0/5(1 Rating)

St. Lawrence Church Overview

Ranked 4 of 18 sightseeing in Miramar

St. Lawrence Church is believed to have been built in 1630 and is devoted to St. Lawrence. He is considered to be a patron saint of the sailors and controller of winds. The church is dome shaped and has various beautiful structures. Of all the structures, the risen Jesus Christ with his legion of angels is a major tourist attraction.

A wooden cross and a statue of St. Lawrence are other attractions of this religious site. Holy adoration is organised on Fridays, along with daily prayers and offerings at the church. This church is located around 19.7 km away from Miramar.
 

Planning Miramar trip?

Know cost before you go!

What travellers are saying about St. Lawrence Church

Experience scale
  • Excellent 1
  • Terrible 0
  • Poor 0
  • Below Average 0
  • Average 0
  • Good 0
  • Very Good 0
Travellers recommend
  • Best Time: During DayLength of visit: Below 1hr
  • Length of visit: 2-3hrsBest Time: During Day
Facilities available
  • Bathroom facilitiesBathroom facilities
  • Camera/Video allowedCamera/Video allowed
  • Wearing of shoes/footwear allowedWearing of shoes/footwear allowed

Timing, fees and more

info

Other Details

Famous for:
Churches
Entry:
free
99% voted as clean

Reviews and Ratings

Rizwanuddin Rafiq

Rizwanuddin Rafiq5.0/5

2881 reviews

Patron Saint of Sailors

Born in the 3rd century, Saint Lawrence believed to be a Spaniard was an extraordinarily virtuous young man. This quality came to the notice of Saint Xystus, then the archdeacon of Rome. The St. Lawrence Church was also known as Church of Sinquerim, was built by the Count of Linhares in 1630, on a hill very close to the Fort of Aguada for the soldiers of the Fort Aguada as St-Lawrence is considered the Patron for Sailors. It was handed over to the Franciscans in 1636. It was detached from Candolim parish to become a new parish church in 1688. The Franciscans left in 1776. The monument of St. Lawrence was built in 1963. On the feast day, the entrance of the Mandovi River is blessed, declaring it open for post-monsoon navigation. It's courtyard is having a Grotto dedicated to Our Lady and a statue of Jesus on an elevated platform and other monuments. From the courtyard of the Church the down side view of Mandovi River is quite panoramic and a place to be visited en route to Fort Aguada. St. Lawrence, who was known as the 'controller of winds' and as the 'patron saint of the sailors'. The dome shaped church houses some wonderful structures of the risen Jesus Christ with his legion of angels. Inside the church, the main altar bears a wooden cross in the centre and a statue of St. Lawrence to the right.

Read More

  • Patron Saint of Sailors
  • Patron Saint of Sailors
  • Patron Saint of Sailors
  • Patron Saint of Sailors
    +6

Photos of St. Lawrence Church

St. Lawrence Church, Miramar

Photo by

Rizwanuddin Rafiq

St-Lawrence Church Fort Aguada Hill
St. Lawrence Church, Miramar

Photo by

Rizwanuddin Rafiq

St-Lawrence Church Fort Aguada Hill
St. Lawrence Church, Miramar

Photo by

Rizwanuddin Rafiq

St-Lawrence Church Fort Aguada Hill
St. Lawrence Church, Miramar

Photo by

Rizwanuddin Rafiq

St-Lawrence Church Fort Aguada Hill